2009 First Time Buyers Credit

The IRS is now accepting the new credit. You will still need to file Form 5405. If you have already filed your taxes for 2008 then you are allowed to go back and amend your return to get this credit. The IRS will use this credit to offset federal debts (student loans, back child support, back taxes).